iOS Theme for jQuery Mobile
Good news! I’ve just pushed some major changes for my iOS jQuery Mobile theme. It now works with jQuery Mobile 1.1.0, which was a bit of a struggle. It also forced me to do some major code cleanup, delivering cross browser gradients and various enhancements I had been putting off.
A full list of changes and resolved bugs follows:
- Supports jQuery Mobile 1.1.0 (this was a nightmare)
- Code cleanup more strictly obeys my coding conventions
- All gradients and effects are now cross browser compatible (Issue #2)
- Updated slider toggle to iOS 5 style (Issue #7)
- Got dialogs looking as close to native as possible considering jQuery Mobile doesn’t support overlayed dialogs (they’re standalone pages) (Issue #3)
The changes have introduced a few minor visual quirks relating to the .ui-focus box shadows etc, but hopefully these will be rectified in the near future.
I made some minor code changes, but the most important thing here was the addition of documentation. The original creator didn’t provide any, so hopefully this makes a bit more sense. I’m sure I’ve missed something here and there (holidays?), but I’ll fix that up as we go.
- Added documentation and better demo with bootstrap popovers
- Works with latest jQuery 1.7.2
- Merged pull request for “undefined error”, thanks Nathan Colgate.
- Code and folder cleanup
Front End Development Guidelines
The page now passes HTML5 validation. Apparently some people care about this.
Front End Development Guidelines - Update
Well that was a wild ride indeed! Since release, the front-end development guidelines I posted have gone bananas. Tens of thousands of page views, plenty of GitHub forks and followers, and even a kind word or two. Many thanks to Paul Irish and other figureheads for tweeting about the resource I put together. It really helped spread the word about what I was trying to do, and in turn pulled in some great comments and suggestions logged through the GitHub issues interface.
As we stand, there are currently 8 open issues and I’ve managed to close 20 others.
Some of the most recent changes I’ve made include:
- I’ve merged in a range of spelling and grammatical changes. What can I say? Me dun speak english good-like.
- Added the new “micro clearfix” to the section on clearing floats.
- Added a section on commenting CSS blocks (handy!).
- Further discussed whether remapping “this” to “self” is a good idea.
- Added section IDs for deep linking (but no way to easily do so, as yet).
- Removed the Gotham web font, which I embarrassingly left in, ignoring my own advice.
Thanks for reading and contributing, be sure to send through any further suggestions using the issues interface or via my email address listed on the right.